- First of all, those 'patch applied and sent to TT' commits get lost with next qt-copy update, if the patch didn't make it yet into official Qt. Keeping changes in qt-copy also as patches will make reapplying them easier.
- Keeping changes in qt-copy as patches should also make it easier to see how it differs from official Qt, and since some packagers use qt-copy for building their Qt packages, they can see what the differences are, and can pick ones they like.
- There is usually a bunch of patches landing in qt-bugs@ queue that improve some part of Qt noticeably, yet it can be months before somebody else than the patch author will be using the patch. To mention some of my patches, there are e.g. QPixmap<>QImage optimizations that make noticeably faster large images handling, there's a DND optimization that makes DND feel much faster, or there's a patch that makes the menubar applet obey Fitts' Law.
- Even though the patches should be very well tested, one can never test something too much. If TT hesitate to apply a patch, let's test it for them.
- blah blah blah
- oh, and yes, I'm upset by the fact that some of my patches hang in qt-bugs@ for months. While I can understand that TT can't fullfil my every wish even if it includes a patch, just like the same happens with bugs.kde.org etc. (hate mails requesting KHotKeys2 finally being finished are welcome), that doesn't change anything on the fact that I don't like it, and having the patches in qt-copy will also have the additional benefit of making me less upset.
However, I've also created directory qt-copy/patches/notsafe, which should be for patches for which the above doesn't apply, for various reasons, the most common one being TT's extreme resistance to adding even the simplest new API to a stable release. Such patches should never be applied to qt-copy, and no code in CVS should rely on it. The patch of mine that's currently there quite likely won't make it in time for Qt-3.2, and if it will be so, KWin in KDE3.2 will have a configure check and one of its best new features will be enabled only with patched Qt :(.